"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Thursday, November 25, 2010

While the World Awakes



While the World Awakes

Sitting serenely
in the quiet of dawn,
stretching cat-like toward heaven,
as I stifle a yawn
- while the world awakes.

Bible before me,
notebook and pen in hand;
moments of mediation
before the day’s demands
battle for my time.

Weather-warped table,
sun-bleached by summer’s rays,
hosting more writing sessions
than picnics nowadays;
- serving my spirit.

Seed-strewn patio.
Breakfast for feathered friends.
While a squirrel scolds, “Where is mine?”
a mourning dove fends
against temptation.

Roosting in the oak
that provides shade for me
the dove watches intently.
from the top of the tree.
- Patiently, I wait.

There will be a day
he fights the urge to flee
and glides down from the treetop
to have a meal with me,
no longer afraid.

One peaceful morning
in the quiet of dawn
- while the world awakes.
__________________________________________________________

Anyone who knows me knows I am not an early bird; but I'm learning to be. I am learning that it is worth fighting the urge to hit the snooze button and get Barry off on his way; then I get the joy of stepping out the back door to listen to the stillness of morning. I can see why the psalmist wrote so many times of meeting God in the morning. The peace is so tangible it seems to soak into your soul. If there is any time that the Lord's still, small voice can literally be heard, surely the dawning of day would be that moment. May you come to know the blessing of morning's stillness as I am beginning to!
__________________________________________________________
Thank you, Morning Star. Joy indeed comes in the morning! In the stillness of the dawn, open my heart and soul to Your quiet voice. Fill me with Your peace and strengthen me for the challenges yet to come. Help me to fight the urge to sleep in, so that I may grow ever closer to You in our morning moments together. ~ Amen

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! It's like I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, I am an early riser....have been all my life and so enjoy the quietness and stillness of the world around me sleeping....best time all day long for me to "get alone with God"......your poems are so beautiful....I anxiously await the next one each time! ~ Jane

    ReplyDelete