"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Thursday, April 23, 2015

Freed ~ A Poem for Barbara











Freed
A poem for Barbara

Hidden in a dim lit corner,
away from the world, I write.
Searching for the words to mourn her,
my lovely friend who died last night.

She would say it was just her time,
knowing I can’t argue this.
God has His reasons, I ask the rhyme
to shed my grief…I speak her bliss.

Imagine the triumph heaven sings
to one who escaped cancer’s harms.
We’re here, still under His wings.
Our sister's embraced in His arms!

Our loss on earth has been her gain;
wrapped in Christ’s love and light.
No more chemo. No more pain.
Home with her Savior – her Delight!

Writing to honor my fallen friend,
I hear my Lord reprimand…
“Hear my words and take heed.
She has not fallen, she’s been freed!”
_______________________________________________________________
Barbara was a wonderful friend and yet so MUCH more. Though miles separated us, our friendship never had problems bridging the distance. We meet through my neighbor/her aunt, Frances Ellis, and became fast friends. I looked forward to her visits as much as Frances did. With her outgoing personality and bubbly smile, who couldn’t love Barbara?

Though I wasn’t always so certain, Barbara believed God had given me a talent in my writing and agreed with me that it should be used for His glory. She was my cheerleader, my encourager! When doubts or low self-esteem weighed me down, she always had the right words to say to lift me up. This dear lady even helped me to attend my first (and only so far) writers’ conference many years ago – an event that still brings goose bumps. 

To my surprise and delight, she would often ask to share certain poems with a friend she thought needed to read it, or sometimes even made copies to pass on to her Emmaus group. I always felt honored and would tell her, “Please do. As long as what I write touches one person’s life and points them to God, I’m happy!” Perhaps, through her efforts, one of my poems or devotionals actually did sow seed in someone’s heart to grow in God’s garden someday – all because Barbara passed it on. I pray so. She always believed in me (or God’s working through me), more than I can, even now, see or comprehend. 

A woman of great faith, this woman was a Prayer Warrior! Whenever I asked for prayer in a matter, there was never a doubt that she lifted it to the Lord daily. It was as if I could feel her prayers and God’s arms wrapped around me like a warm blanket on a cold night. Barbara would share scripture with me to strengthen my soul and devotionals to lift my spirits. She was more than a close friend, she was an example of the God-fearing, Christ-trusting woman I strive to be.

Now she is gone and our world is shaken. Knowing, I can no longer reach out to her and hear her voice or see her bright smile. No more Barbara hugs. No more devotionals or her words of wisdom coming across my email with uncanny (God-guided) perfect timing. No more, “Hey, I’m driving to New Boston! How about I stop in Paris and we go eat at La Familia?” How she loved Mexican food! J

So, in my grief, I do what I always do….I write!

I had to include “Under His Wings,” because that has been how Barbara has ended her last several emails to me. But, my sorrow was too much for words and I was at a loss as what to write. I always pray for God to help me with my poems. So, all day, I prayed. “Please help me find the words to write a poem for Barbara. I think she would like that, God.” Still, I struggled and my prayer requests continued, “God, help me find the words to honor my fallen friend.” Immediately, I was corrected. “She’s not fallen. She’s freed!” And so, I was given a part of Barbara’s poem…
Thank you, Lord. Shalom, Barbara. I will see you soon, sweet friend.
______________________________________________________________ 

Father in Heaven, Thank you!! Thank you for blessing our lives by allowing us to know this beautiful, faithful woman, Barbara Armstrong. She allowed herself to be Your servant, Lord. She was willing to say to You, “Use me!” and You did. So many people this woman loved; so many loved her in return. She was a jewel more precious than rubies, Lord. If ever someone today fit the role of the Proverbs 31 woman, I imagine Barbara was it. I know the angels sang with joy to welcome her home. Please Father, give her a hug from me, until I can get there to hug her myself. With joy at her homecoming, I pray in Christ’s name. ~ Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment