"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Thursday, September 2, 2010

Family Resemblance



Family Resemblance

I hope that when you look - you see -
you have a sense of some familiarity.
That as you watch, you see the similarity -
traits my Father passed on to me.
So much like Him, I long to be.
I pray my eyes shine with sincerity,
that my words contain simple clarity,
faithfully you find me, praying on bended knee:

To have my Brother Daniel’s devotion;
the willingness to sacrifice the way that Esther did.
Might I love as much as Peter’s passion;
to express the faith of David's - even as a kid.
May my heart overflow with mercy's emotion;
that I might portray sweet Ruth’s loyal compassion.

May I live my life with integrity
and with a sense of expectancy.
_____________________________________________________

Why a picture of a tree with a poem about family resemblance? Simple. It represents my family tree. We all have a family tree full of ancestors - both of good character and of bad. Jesus had one too. Have you ever really paid attention to it or do you skip over all the "begats"? I used to, until I started researching my own genealogy and decided to start one for Jesus' family in my Family Tree Maker program; just out of curiosity. Even Jesus' tree had what some might consider of questionable character. I think God did it to show that none are beyond His love and grace!

The past few days, I have been working on transferring photos from all of Mom's old albums to the computer to save on a disc. There have been some bittersweet memories awakened with the project. Still, while noticing how much my Dad favors my Grandpa, I realized how much of a compliment it would be if someone said, "You remind me of your Father;" meaning my heavenly Father. What a joy that would be! Then that became a part of my prayers! As I read of Daniel praying three times a day or of how Ruth refused to leave Naomi, I realise that others in my Christian family have traits I would love to reflect as well: devotion, dedication, loyalty, faith, passion . . . and so came my latest poem - an attempt toward a sonnet, something I haven't done in a while. Still, the heart's desire mirrors the written words. How I long for you to see my Father's traits shining through me!
___________________________________________________________
Heavenly Father, merciful Saviour, help me to learn from the examples of my Christian family written of in Your Word. They all have something to teach. Some are shiny examples of faith; others of the path not to take. I have a tendency to like David, because he showed us both, and he taught how to be truly repentant. Most of all, Abba, let me not be satisfied until my image reflects Yours! ~ Amen

3 comments:

  1. You have echoed the cry of my heart! To be just like my Father! Thank you! I do see Him shining brightly through you. You are such a blessing to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooooo good. Anyone who knows your family knows you have the traits of your heavenly father, as well as your sweet earthly parents! Keep posting Susie, I love your work! ~ Jane
    Sept. 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I like it. To be like the Father; that's the way. ~ Rick

    ReplyDelete