"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Monday, September 20, 2010

Talent - A Gift from God

Silent stones still speak;
whispering of past lives spent;
if you but listen.





Lady Laura

At a glance, I saw her sitting
in the shade of a live oak tree.
Something 'bout her called out to me
and so I chose to change my way;
for to visit with fair lady,
so to learn who she might be.
She sat with cheek on hand resting,
peacefully pondering the day.

Though I’d past there many a time
never had I seen her there;
this young lady sitting where
perhaps she thought no one would see.
Her formal dress did not hide bare
feet peaking beneath fold's flair.
As on a stone she sat sublime,
still more, her mystery beckoned me.

Some roses wrapped around her wrist.
A bouquet lay upon her knee.
Although I came up to greet her,
Shyly, she would not answer me.
Yet, lightly did the stone decree,
Laura, etched for all to see.
Much by family she was missed
for the stone also whispered - Sister.

_____________________________________________________________

First of all, let me say, yes, I know. . . I am weird. I am aware of it. I have admitted it. So, it’s okay for you to say it too, LOL. How many people do you know that actually enjoy visiting a cemetery? I started exploring them first because of genealogy research. Now, I also like to go and admire the detail that sculptors put into so many of the statues. They are true artists! It amazes me that they can take of block of stone and find the features of an angel hidden there – or of a child, a lamb, a Celtic cross or even Jesus Christ in cowboy boots. The young woman portrayed in the picture was craved in 1904 and yet the statue includes details as tiny as her toenails! The talent of stone carvers simply amazes me!

I believe God has given us all some form of talent. Though carving beauty out of rock is something I could never accomplish, each of us have some special talent all our own - a gift from God. There are many types of talent. Some are physical such as in martial arts and other sports, others are more artistic like great photographers, some come in more emotional forms such as an especially caring heart. A few I know have the ability to sketch with such skill that the picture draws you into the page. I know others who bring life to a canvas with various colors and tones, some paint a paper with words, several sing with the beauty of an angel or play an instrument amazingly, some are culinary masterminds, others use puppets to minister to children. See! The list of types of talent goes on and on . . .

Some find their gift from God early in life. Then there are people like me who search even into adulthood before they find their talent - and even then, they're still sometimes insecure about it. If you are unsure what your talent is, don't doubt that you have one. Instead, pray that God reveals your special gift to you - and keep praying until He does. Search within yourself. What do you enjoy? What did you dream of being as a child? What makes you smile? Is there something that brings you peace after a stressful day? Then maybe your talent is tied to one of these joys!
Ask God about your talent. Pursue it. Work at developing it into a thing of beauty like the sculpter worked bit by bit to reveal the beauty hidden in a massive stone. The Bible says if you don't use the talent you are given, you will lose it. So, whether you are a stone carver, a potter, a puppeteer, a musician, an artist with paint or a martial artist. . . whatever your talent - never stop using it! Never stop thanking the Lord for it and He will bless you in your efforts!
_______________________________________________________________
Artist of the midnight sky, Songwriter of nature's chorus, thank You for the talents you have blessed me with. May my development and use of them be blessed and pleasing in Your sight. ~ Amen

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I love the haiku! It captures the stillness of stone sculpture and stories that always lie within. Lady Laura captures that silent mystery as well. And I love what you wrote about gifts. Very well spoken! So many people think they are not gifted - but they simply have not uncovered or recognized their giftings yet. ~ Carol Ann
    September 20

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done it again!! Beautiful! ~ Jane
    September 21

    Very nice ~ Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog....you work is always beautiful.~ Jane

    ReplyDelete