"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Friday, November 21, 2014

She's a Christian













2 Corinthians 12:20 (NIV)
“20 For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.” 

She’s a Christian 

She’s a Christian? How can that be? 
Not with the long list of sins I see!
Why just the other day she swore
and did you see that low-cut blouse she wore?

He’s a Christian? I don’t agree.
Did you see the look he gave to me?
He rarely talks or cracks a smile
when I meet him in the grocery aisle.

She’s a Christian? Yeah right, I say.
You should have seen her the other day.
I saw her in the Walmart store
fussing with kids you’re supposed to adore.

He’s a Christian? That can’t be true,
‘cause I know the things he used to do,
a rebel rouser out all night.
A leopard doesn’t change its spots - right?

She’s a Christian? Don’t make me grin.
Don’t you know her life is steeped in sin?
And if you have some time to chat
I can tell you all about that.

‘Cause you know,
we Christians,
we don’t act like that.
____________________________________________________________
Guess what? Can you guess? I AM A SINNER! I screw up ALL the time. I am impatient. I am bossy. I get depressed (and Christians aren’t supposed to get depressed, you know.) I say things I shouldn’t, especially when I am mad. Yes, I get mad. And with the crazy “time of life” age I am, sometimes I can even go into a rage that I see and hear but cannot stop. Sometimes a cuss word or two even escapes my mouth, something I am not proud of and never used to do. I don’t pray as much as I should. Try as I might, I don’t “study to show myself worthy” by reading the Bible every day – though I truly try. I haven’t stepped into a church service in quite some time and other aspects of my life are not what they should be. So, how can I call myself a Christian, a child of God?

In answer let me ask, when your little boy throws a wall-eyed tantrum in the store when he can’t have the latest toy, is he still your son even though you don’t approve of his behavior? When you tell your teenage daughter that she can’t go out dressed looking like she’s going to be working a street corner and she screams, “I hate you!” as she slams her bedroom door; is she still your daughter? Do you still love them and would you still do just about anything for them? God, our Father in heaven, feels the same way about His children on earth; so much so that He gave HIS only Son for us. You have your answer.

Yes, I am a Christian. I have my weak moments. I pray for guidance and still somehow choose the wrong path. I grow weary from the constant war. I stumble and at times (Lord, please forgive me) I am even someone else’s stumbling block. THAT hurts me most! To know that someone else is watching my actions and judging what a Christian is by what I do. When I fail, someone will always gloat: “Yeah, right. SHE’S a CHRISTIAN. She’s a hypocrite! If that is what a Christian is, I don’t care to be one.”

God convicted me of my sins. I repented and asked Jesus to come into my heart - my life - many years ago. He forgave me and washed me clean of my sins. Believe me, God CAN change a leopard’s spots! That didn’t mean that I would be flawless from that day forward. I am by no means perfect, nowhere close! No one can be. If we could accomplish that, then Jesus would never have needed to give His life for us.

I try to follow the rules and guidelines God has set down for us in the Bible and for that I have been called self-righteous. I HATE THAT! And I just don’t get it. I am the first to say that I make HUGE mistakes. I am a sinner – in the past, in the present and yes, I am positive I will be in the future. How do I know? Because no man, woman or child can ever, never mess up. Period! Do I attempt to follow Christ’s example? Yes. I try. In some areas I succeed and in others I fail miserably. 

As much as it baffles me when non-believers seem to expect Christians to be perfect or have no problems; it breaks my heart a thousand times more to hear fellow Christian’s gossip and tear other people down…even people they don’t truly, honestly know. At one time or another, most of us have been guilty of tearing down instead of building up. I know it must break God’s heart for His own children to be the cause of discord and strife…Yes! Among my list of sins, you can add that I have many times been drawn into gossiping as well, even when I tell myself I will walk away instead next time. We all fall down…the key is to let the Lord help you back up and try again. I Am a Sinner - Saved by the Grace of God!

How about a challenge? For 24 hours, try to be pleasing in God’s sight in all that you say and do, “perfect” in every aspect of your life. Too long? Okay, try just 8 working hours. Good luck and as always, be blessed!
______________________________________________________________ 
Father in Heaven, Jehovah Roi, God who truly sees me (who sees all), for the many times I have failed You, I humbly pray your forgiveness. For the ones who have watched me and I have fallen short of the example I should have been, I ask that You send other, bolder Christians into their life to help lead them into Your light. Draw them to You. Open their eyes and help them see that it is not to me, or any man or woman, they should look to for perfection, but to Your Son, my Savior, Jesus Christ instead. May they still come to know Your love and accept salvation’s plan despite my shortcomings and sins. ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment