"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Penned Portrait



A Penned Portrait
Memories of Dad

Ritz crackers or Little Debbie’s
with Mt. Dew to top them off.
Simple things that say you, Daddy,
like drinking milk straight from the jug.
Recollections wrap me like a hug.

Curled up in your reclining chair,
leaning into the warmth of you.
Elmer Fudd’s chasing a gray hare.
Yosemite Sam’s guns are flashing.
Loved listening to you laughing.

Music dances in my memories,
each song a love note in its way.
Of all the songs you sang to me,
“Wake Up Little Susie” never fades
- so many records we once played.

Forehead furrowed with eyebrows raised
peering over glasses “What’d you say?”
We kids were loved and we were praised,
but in some things you didn’t play.
Rules were rules we were to obey.

The quiet moments that we shared
discussing the depths of God’s word,
deep discussions where you declared
Bible lessons learned in your youth;
teaching my heart to trust God’s truth.

Our rolling stone, you taught me well.
Change is adventure, not to be feared.
Some days fall flat, others excel.
Dare - for dreams are worth the vying.
True failure comes in never trying.

As I reminisce and rewind,
your love for Mom and family
is the utmost memory in my mind.
For the past, present and yet to be,
thank you, Dad, for all you are to me.

_______________________________________________________

I could write a poem card worthy, 
too much like someone else's words.
I could write serious or silly. 
I prefer something never heard
...a penned portrait ideally. 

I wanted something that reflected my Dad and how much I am my Daddy's girl. I look like a younger reflection of my mother, but oh how much I am like my Dad in personality. He found one of my poems years ago and in his beautiful handwriting (much prettier than mine) he wrote, "Susie, I didn't know you could do this." 

I still have that note somewhere.  I hope when I deliver this poem to him later today, that it touches his heart. I can't imagine my life without him. I am the person I am today, because of lessons learned from Dad. 

Happy Father's Day to my Dad who is a jack of all trades, flawed in some ways, perfect in others!  
_______________________________________________________
Heavenly Father, 
Thank you for my earthly father. The first man I ever loved! May You who sees the true heart of all men, bless him today and always. ~ Amen





                               


                                                                                             

1 comment:

  1. MODES OF BAPTISM? BY STEVE FINNELL

    Are there modes of baptism or is there just baptism? Saying there are modes of baptism is like saying there are modes of humans. There are not methods of humans nor are there methods of baptism. There are humans and there is baptism.

    Water baptism is literally and figuratively a burial. You cannot be buried under a sprinkle nor under pouring.

    Roman 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.(NASB)

    Colossians 2:12 having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you are also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.(NASB)

    Romans 6:4 We were, therefore, buried with him by immersion into death; that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, thus we also should walk in the newness of life.(The Better Version of The New Testament by Chester Estes)

    I have yet to find a translation of the Bible that translates; Romans 6:4 ....."we were buried with Him by sprinkling or pouring into death....

    Colossians 2:12 Having been buried with him by immersion, by which also you were raised up with him, through the belief of the strong working of God, who raised him from the dead.(The Better Version of The New Testament by Chester Estes)

    There are no translations of the Bible that renders; Colossians 2:12 Having been buried with him by sprinkling or pouring.....

    IT IS EASY TO ENVISION HOW MEN CAN BE LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY BURIED BY WATER BAPTISM. IT IS DIFFICULT TO PAINT A WORD PICTURE WHERE MEN ARE BURIED UNDER A SPRINKLE OR BY BEING POURED UPON.

    John 3:23 And John also was immersing in Enon, near Salim, because there were many waters there; and the people came , and were immersed. (The Better Version of The New Testament by Chester Estes)

    John the Baptist did not need many waters to sprinkle or pour water on men.

    BAPTISM is not divided into modes. BAPTISM is not various methods. BAPTISM IS JUST BAPTISM!

    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete