"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Sunday, January 30, 2011

Her Children Will Call Her Blessed


Her Children Will Call Her Blessed

Thank you, God, for the mother You gave me.
She sacrificed so much that I could not see.
Providing life, laughter and a home full of love;
she gave us the time that she had none of.

Courage, she instilled within us;
along with endless faith, hope and trust.
She taught us in ourselves to believe;
that if we just tried, we could achieve.

How do I tell her what she means to me;
how I admire her quiet strength and dignity?
There are no words to embrace her spirit.
Even if I tried, she would not hear it.

There may be laugh lines upon her face
and some of the hardships can there be traced;
but there are no wrinkles on her heart.
The soul's youthfulness will never depart.

It shines in her eyes, can be seen in her smile;
the love that she has remains all the while.
portraying beauty within that transcends all others;
I thank you, Lord, that she's my mother.
_______________________________________________________________
Today is my wonderful mother's birthday! I am so blessed that God chose her to be mine! She is more than my Mom - she is one of my best friends. I talk to her every morning during the week and miss her voice when something keeps us from making that phone call. I orginally wrote this poem for her as a birthday gift in 2001 and revised it in 2010 when I submitted it and a story I wrote to Chicken Soup for the Soul, Mothers & Daughters edition. I had hoped I would hear a response from them in time for her special day. But, they moved up the deadline for entries and I still have not heard anything. Maybe soon . . .
________________________________________________________________
Thank you, Lord, for giving me such a wonderful mother to experience life with. She has taught me so much.  Actually, I am still learning from her how to accept the things life throws at you with grace and gratitude. If I become half the lady of faith she is, then I will consider myself truly blessed. Again Lord, I lift up my praise to You for the gift of my mother.  ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment