"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow and the Glitter Globe



 Snow and the Glitter Globe

What day is this? I do not know.
I'm sure it is a weekday though.
Still, I will lazily lie here
to watch the briskly falling snow.

Through slatted blinds it looks quite queer,
like my glitter globe sitting near,
with skaters on a frozen lake
dressed quaintly of a bygone year.

Reaching over, I give it a shake.
Now, I'm sure there's no mistake.
Snow flurries swirl like waters sweep
the glittering, shimmering flake.

With snowy blanket, soft and deep,
over the land Winter's hand does creep,
covering nature while she sleeps,
mothering nature while she sleeps.
_________________________________________________________________

"He gives snow like wool; He scatters the frost like ashes. He casts out His hail like morsels. Who can stand before His cold? He sends out His word and melts them. He causes His wind to blow, and the waters flow." Psalm 147:16-18

Winter can be a beautiful time of year, especially when snow blankets everything from the top branches of the trees to the tiniest blades of grass. The world wrapped in snow seems more subdued, peaceful and perfect . . . Until you walk away from the window and step outside into the frozen wonderland. The icy temperatures can be torture! Admittedly, I am not a big fan of winter weather. Yet I know, like all things, this season serves a purpose.

I am a firm believer that we can learn a lot from nature. So, what is it then that we can learn from winter; this beautiful but sometimes brutal season? Winter is the season of stillness, the return of nature to a state of rest and renewal. In our hustle and bustle, crazy, 24/7 world we have a tendency to run until we crash. The next day, we start it all over again. Perhaps what we are to learn is that rest is a requirement, not just a luxury. The Creator set aside a whole day out of the week just for rest - "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy." (Exodus 20:8) And yet, that commandment seems to have been forgotten by many. It is just another day to get things done. Return to rest! Your body needs it. Your mind needs it. Your spirit craves it!

Another attribute of Winter is that nature seems to withdraw into itself. Icy winds undress leaves from the trees. The trees then retire for a season; storing food in their roots. The treasured colors of Spring, buried deep beneath the surface, patiently wait for the earth to warm so they can bloom once again. Squirrels snack on stored away nuts inside their sheltered homes. The bear retreats into its den for a long nap, until warmer weather returns (something my mother & I have always wished we could do because we get grumpy as old bears during cold weather).

Just as animals and plants adapt to survive the cold, so we need to learn to do the same. No matter what life throws at us we must learn to adapt and endure. I pray that we will never allow the harsh times in life to turn our hearts as frigid as the winter air. If we take the time to withdraw into ourselves, to rest in the stillness and meditate on God's word; maybe, we too can enter Spring refreshed, renewed and vibrant with Life!
_________________________________________________________________

God of all seasons: Thank you for the beauty of winter - the pure white snow that blankets the earth and, for a while, makes everything look crisp and clean; the stark beauty of dark, naked trees against a dove gray sky; the flash of cardinal red against bright white that always makes me smile; snuggling with ones we love under warm blankets with a hot cup of cocoa . . . Remind me, Lord, that this is a time to slow down and simply enjoy the stillness winter brings. Let me find moments to withdraw within myself and search for ways to be more of the woman You want me to be. Let me meditate on Your Word and dwell in the Peace that lasts throughout all seasons. Help me to remember that no matter how frigid the air may be outside, I am always held in the warmth of your love - for eternity. ~  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love the poem! That's how I've felt this week - "what day is it?" I marvel at the peaceful stillness of winter. You've captured that mood perfectly! Thank you for putting my week into words so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete