"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Saturday, July 31, 2010

Grounded



Grounded

I am a bird whose
wings have been clipped;
bright feathers of flight ripped;
by stolen dreams.

Crippled by apathy.
Denied what comes naturally;
to slip the grasp of gravity.
Forced - not to fly.

Wings whoosh in protest;
clattering against the cage,
sounding indignant rage,
against this wrong.

God created me
upon air currents to glide;
among the clouds to ride;
not to be grounded.

I screech in defiance,
"Why can't you see? This is me!
What I am suppose to be.
Allow me to soar!"
_____________________________________________________

We get great news! Something wonderful has happened. We are flying high! And then, we meet Mr. Gloom & Doom. . . . and they bring us crashing to the ground of cynicism.

Why is it that some people insist on stealing our joy and diminishing dreams? There are some that carry a raincoat even on a bright, sunny day. No matter how beautiful the moment might be, they seem to constantly be clothed in a cloak of negativity. They remind me of Eeyore or the Flintstone's character, Bad Luck Schleprock, who always had a dark cloud hanging over his head.

You get a new job or promotion - They complain about the company or one of your coworkers.
You get a new car - They say you should have bought "this model" because the gas mileage stinks on what you got.
You are getting married - You don't really want to tie yourself down, do you?
You bought a new house - Just wait to you start having to make repairs.
You are going on a trip - Oh, that place is a tourist trap that costs way too much money.
I am sure you can think of some of your own examples . . .

Why do people do this? Are they jealous of our happiness or do they honestly see the world through such ominous eyes? If so, what a sad life they must live; a life totally opposite of what the Lord wants for us. The apostle Paul taught us, saying: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Does that sound like we are suppose to dwell on the negative? I don't think so! Hold on tightly to a positive attitude. Don't let them steal your joy. Instead, make it your mission to let your light shine so brightly, that their darkness has no choice but to shrink into the nearest corner. Soar to the greatest heights and let no one hold you down!

Dear Lord of Light, please make me a contagious Christian whose joyful spirit and a infectious, positive attitude spreads to everyone I am near - at work and at home. I know I have my periods of pessimism too, times when the negativity of others rub off on me. When this occurs, put Your hand over my mouth and help me to remain quiet (something I am not always strong enough to do alone) instead of allowing me to crush someone else's happiness. Never allow me to dash someone's dreams with my own moments of skepticism. Help me to rejoice with others who are soaring with delight in Your blessings. ~ Amen

3 comments:

  1. So powerful! I know exactly what you mean, how you feel, etc., and you expressed it beautifully. ~ Tresa
    August 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is JUST beautiful! You are very talented! ~ Jane
    August 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully true, but get up quicker each time!!!!!
    Yea!! ~ Barbara
    August 1

    ReplyDelete