"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall is in the Air!



Menagerie

Looking about and what do I see?
Six little men looking back at me.
Two have large bundles upon their backs.
Wonder what could be inside their heavy packs?
One man has a hat cocked at a crooked angle.
One's tummy looks as if he just left the table.
Another has a cast of just a wee bit green.
On an older one, traces of red can faintly be seen.

Staring still, a circus suddenly seems to appear.
There are horses and camels and even reindeer.
A lamb is nestled next to a lion's fiery mane;
reminding me of the peace we will one day obtain.
A leaf blows next to a rabbit's hidden lair,
as he nibbles a flower perfuming the air.
Three cats lounge in assorted states of repose.
Where did they all come from? Nobody knows.

Under a crescent moon a ghostly figure floats by.
Next to a haunted house, a scarecrow catches my eye,
staked beside two pumpkins - one with a ghoulish grin.
A skeleton dances by with a witch who has a double chin;
while in a darkened corner, a spider spins its silken strings.
This has become an eerie place, filled with spooky things.

Yet, among all the strange figures roaming around,
a surprising presence of virtue was soon to be found.
She was standing under a cluster of evergreen trees;
her gown of gold flowing as if caught in a breeze.
This angel of good tidings, heralding the Light,
was surrounded by stars that twinkle in the night.

One last look at the landscape, to see what I may see,
shows me two plump snowmen smiling at me with glee.
I retrieve this menagerie of characters from hiding;
as a chilled concoction my son begins dividing.
We mixed it together earlier, with the spices just right;
in eager anticipation of eating such a culinary delight.
Upon a floured board, we rolled the dough very thin.
I wink playfully at my son and he gives me a grin.
Picking certain players, he arranges them just so-so;
pressing their impressions into the gingerbread dough.
_____________________________________________________________

I had something else planned for this week's post; but it is taking awhile to get past a period of what can't exactly be called writer's block - for the words are flowing, just not with the right rhythm and feel that I want to portray. I also had a more fitting picture, but for the moment, I can't get it to upload. So, Fall colors will have to be the scene for now. Can you tell it's been one of those weeks? LOL!

With the poem I wanted not working and the holiday seasons soon to be upon us (one right after another, after another!), I decided to pull a poem up from out of the distant past that I thought was fitting; one that has happy memories for me and hopefully for Ryan as well. I love to bake and what better way to spend time with your kids than to make homemade cookie dough and cut out cookies in a variety of different, sweet shapes to decorate? Bring out the sprinkles, the icing, the M&M's and Red Hots. Bring on the giggles and smiles! Have fun. Be messy. Most of all, remember to count your blessings!

Thank you, God for this fabulous Fall season. The cool weather, the trees changing their attire, leaves dancing in the wind, the bright, orange pumpkins and beautiful mums . . . I can smell the cookies baking, the spiced cider simmering and I'm surrounded by a sense of contentment and peace that flows from heaven's gate to my heart. I love You and Your ever changing seasons, Lord. ~ Amen

3 comments:

  1. LOL!! Now that was a surprise ending! I could not figure out what you were writing about. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol: That was what I was trying to do - keep you guessing until the very end. Glad I succeeded! This poem was written in response to a writing assignment in 2001. Basically, we had to raid our kitchen cabinets and drawers and find something to inspire a story. With most of the assignments, me being me, I had to write my poem first before the story would ever develop. Thankfully, my story got a good grade from the teacher as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leading us in to a delicious delight. . . way to weave the words my friend. ~ Frances

    ReplyDelete