"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"I will never leave thee; nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5



Along the Way

Master, don’t send me down this path, I pray.
I will be your companion along the way.

But, Lord, the path seems treacherous and steep.
I promise your steps to steady and keep.

The trail narrows, God, I fear I’ll fall.
My hand will catch you - before you call.

Jesus, are those storms on the horizon, I see?
Don’t fear. Your shield from the storms I’ll always be.

The climb grows darker, Father. Please, stay close!
I will be your light when you need it most.

Abba, what will we find at the journey’s end?
Peace, love and healing, my child, as your heart, body and soul I mend.

                                                                                   Written for Diana D. and Mom _______________________________________________________________
It rends my heart in two to watch a friend of mine begin her battle against cancer with chemo treatments next week. I can only imagine the fear of the unknown that must plague her right now. To add to the heartache, my dear mother continues to have health complications and just longs to feel better again. I long to help them with this emotional burden, to take it all away, but I can't. All I can do is write what I hope are words of comfort and over my services for whatever I might be able to do to help. The other day, with these two troubling my mind, the image of a steep, dark, treacherous mountain trail came to mind. I envisioned it to be the reluctant path that laid before them. If I could draw it, you would see a dark setting with someone clinging to a narrow, rocky edge. They are ooking up past lightening-filled storm clouds to the warm, light of heaven breaking through above. The figure of someone is walking toward them; between the storm and the person. That someone being Christ. . .

The old adage of “No one said life would be easy. . .” is often quoted and remains forever true. Though we all dream of a fairytale life, the dark side of reality is always there when we wake up. Like it or not, there are times in life that we really don’t like the road that has been laid out before us. Maybe a job was lost or a fire took everything you own. Perhaps a spouse has passed away or simply decided one day that they no longer wanted to be “the other half”. Maybe you have been diagnosed with a serious illness. Whatever the situation might be, you are facing a road of uncertainty and your world seems to be spiraling out of control. Your stomach is in knots and a part of you feels betrayed. This is not what you signed up for; yet you have no choice but to face it. You may even feel totally alone even though family and friend surround you. The question, “Why me, Lord?” plays over and over again like a broken record. I know. I have been there myself a time or two.

Even though they are persistent, push the “whys” away. Knowing wouldn’t change the path you are now destined to take anyway. Instead, focus on the “Who”. Do you remember the invisible friend you played with as a child? Admit it! I know I had one. No matter how many people told me that friend wasn’t real, he still existed in my eyes. Well, my theory is that our unseen, childhood friends were not necessarily imaginary. Maybe they were our guardian angels that we still had enough faith to see. *smile* God said we all need to have a childlike faith; to trust Him completely. He also promised, “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” (Hebrews 13:5). Our Father promised He would be beside us no matter what. Believe it! God does not break His promises. Even though you cannot see Him, just because you cannot always feel Him, accept it as truth. Be as sure of it as you were of that invisible friend. Talk to the Lord just as you talked to your childhood companion.

Even though the road is rough and unsure, God walks right beside you along the way - offering a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen and a hand to wipe away the tears. There will be another turn in the road, friend. Things will get easier. Maybe not as soon as we would like for it to be; but rest assured God is your constant companion along the journey and He will not only help you, but also heal your broken heart and spirit.
_______________________________________________________________
My Companion and Friend, You are the one true constant in my life. I am so thankful that You never leave me or those that I care about. Even during the scariest and the ugliest of days, You are still right by our side. Sometimes, during these situations, I do not respond in the most approriate of ways. The fear, anger, hurt that it is happening in the first place, rages like a storm within me and I react before I stop and pray. Even then, You do not walk away in disappointment. For Your mercy, I am forever thankful. During one of the most difficult times in my life, I literally felt Your arms hold me while I cried. I pray those same arms of warmth and love wrap around my friend and my mother now. Comfort them. Heal them. Fill them both with the strength and peace that can only come from You. ~ Amen

2 comments:

  1. You have so beautifully captured our Father's love and faithfulness!! You described your vision so well that I can see it. Thank you so much for your insightful wisdom and compassionate comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again you have touched the deepest part of my heart and soul! ~ Jane

    ReplyDelete