"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Monday, August 29, 2011

Sanctified


                                      
Sanctified
As head winds buoy the eagle's flight;
the Lord lifts my striving spirit
to unimaginable heights.

Like Fall rain after Summer's heat;
He replenishes my parched soul
with Living Water replete.

Such as the lowly caterpillar
God molds into majestic butterfly;
this simple sinner, He sanctifies.
______________________________________________________________
We crave the "Fall rain after Summer's heat!"

I am beginning to think the drought we have been experiencing has evaporated more than the pools and riverbeds around us; it has dried up the wells of creative writing within me as well. So, since I was rummaging through my old scribblings the other day, I decided to post something from my past. I ran across this poem I wrote in 2004 and thought the line about my "parched soul" mirrored our parched land.
 
Perhaps with the upcoming cooler weather of Fall, and the refreshing rains I know will eventually bless us, God will also refill my soul with words to paint new poems soon. "Showers of blessings, showers of blessings we need. Mercy drops 'round us be falling, but for the showers we plead." *
“There shall be showers of blessing.” Ezekiel 34:26
_____________________________________________________________________
To the One who sanctifies me, the Shaper of my Soul. Please hear my prayer. The land is parched. The plants are wilting, even trees are shriveling, leaves and grass crunch beneath our feet; crushing our weary spirits with each step. In the extreme heat of this summer, our souls wither as well. Bless us soon with showers to refresh the land. Rejuvenate our spirits with the coolness of Living Water so our spirits may never thirst again. Thank you for renewing our arid world - within and without. ~ Amen

* There Shall Be Showers of Blessings, by Daniel W. Whittle, 1883

1 comment:

  1. Old time Pentecostals used to use the term sanctified when speaking of their salvation. You'd hear them say, I've been saved and sanctified. Meaning they had made a public profession of faith and then been filled with the Holy Spirit(Ghost).
    I do like your analogy of the physical drought with the spiritual. Sometimes we do walk in dry places and are in need of those showers of blessings.

    ReplyDelete