"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Wednesday, April 24, 2013


A Resistant Runner
I am a beginning runner.
That my time is slow is no stunner.
At races, I hang back at the start,
so not to overhear the tart
remarks of racers who might rant
that I run the pace of a piddly ant.  

I am doing my best to train,
though sometimes it is a strain.
At times, I try to run steep stairs;
all the while praying nothing tears.
For now, my races are a personal test.
I pray someday to keep up with the rest…

to be that strong, tough, resistant runner.
_____________________________________________________________
Day 24, Poem 24:
Today's NaPoWriMo prompt was: 

"And now, the prompt (which is optional)! Today I’d like you to think about words buried in words. In particular, think about the words buried in your own name. Plug your name into an anagram generator, like this one, and try writing a self-portrait poem using words that are generated."

And so, I used my first, middle and last name - so I would have more vowels to work with. One of the things the anagram generator came up with was, "A Resistant Runner." It uses every letter of my complete name, except one of the letters "a." Some of the anagram poems I looked at for examples ended each line with a word that was also contained in the name. I did the same thing with my own poem AND made it rhyme. It wasn't easy to find words that followed both requirements. 

I still wasn't too sure or the word "resistant" to describe a runner though. But, when I looked up synonyms for "resistant", I found: hard, tough, strong, unyielding and defiant. Hhhmm  okay, I can accept that! Maybe one day, that will be the kind of runner I am as well. :-)
______________________________________________________
Maker of Man: Our bodies should be our temples. We have to live in them every day. And yet, we abuse them by our own hand. We eat too much, drink too much, don't get enough rest, don't get enough exercise, make a diet of the most unhealthy of foods. . .Teach us, dear Lord, to see our own bodies and good health as the gifts they are. Help us, help me, to take better care of the body you gave me to live in. I want to keep using it for several years to come! ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment