"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

~ George Eliot





Comments - and even criticisms - are welcome. It encourages me to know if my words touched a place in your heart; and criticisms show me how to improve. Thanks and have a wonderful day!




Tuesday, April 9, 2013



On Borrowed Time
Mr. Brink is not so bad.
Matter of fact, he's kind of sad.
He's caught in Gramp's apple tree.
Now how, you ask, can that be?

It started with a wish Gramps made.
Once in his tree, there thieves stayed.
Not forever, don't you know;
only until Gramps let them go.

To his surprise, the wish came true.
An apple thief got stuck like glue.
Gramps let him down, once he swore
never to steal apples any more.

What's that to do with Brink, you say?
Well, he came to take Gramps away.
But, Gramps was no way ready to go.
He wanted to watch his grandson grow.

So clever Gramps has Death treed
and only he says when he's freed.
Oh, Gramp's thinks this all is grand;
but. . .
          nothing's dying throughout the land.

Unless of course, they touch the tree
that Mr. Brink cannot flee.
Want to know how the story ends?
I will not say, but recommend,
go see this show with your friends.

________________________________________________________________

Day 9, Poem 9:

Death comes for everyone is just not the case in the 1939 film "On Borrowed Time." Thanks to cantankerous Gramps and his quick thinking trick. :-) The poetry prompt today was to write a poem inspired by noir. Now, to be honest, I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. SO, I looked up the definition and Merriam-Webster said this:

"genre that offers dark or fatalistic interpretations of reality. The term is applied to U.S. films of the late 1940s and early '50s that often portrayed a seamy or criminal underworld and cynical characters. The films were noted for their use of stark, expressionistic lighting and stylized camera work, often employed in urban settings."

Eh, okay, but not okay. So, I decided to choose another black and white film from the past that I love, "On Borrowed Time" with Lionel Barrymore from 1939. Gramps fits the cynical character! If you prefer the theme of a mystery love story, well this is a love story too; but not the romance kind. Instead, you find the intense love and friendship between a grandpa and his grandson. There is even the "seamy" side, if you use seamy to mean "unpleasant" to describe the aunt who wants the grandson; only for his inheritance money. Haven't seen it?? WATCH IT! Obviously, I enjoyed it. 
_________________________________________________________________
Giver of our every breath - I thank you for today and every day I have. "Mr. Brink" has already taken many I love to live in heaven with you. Death is not something to be taken lightly; but it is not something I fear either. When one day you send "Mr. Brink" for me, I pray I accept his hand with grace to join our amazing family reunion in heaven. ~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment